Friday, July 28, 2017

July 3, 2017 - Hatcliffe 2.0 (aka Dust in the Wind)

Hey friends and family!!

Elder Horton and I will be staying another transfer together in Hatcliffe! I'm actually pretty excited for it. I feel like there is a lot of good we can do over these next 6 weeks. The new transfer feeling is awesome because I feel renewed and ready to get back at it. Hopefully with the Lord's help we can accomplish miracles!
Sister Gutu's 3 yr old daughter Tinaiyi
doing her wash - adorable!

Winter in Zimbabwe is super dry. That means that Hatcliffe extention, which has no paved roads, is SUPER dusty. I'm talking dust akawandisa. Every time a car drives by we have to cover our faces and all the plants along the roads are reddish brown from the dust. The cold and the dust is an interesting combination. It's definitely hard to keep a white shirt clean!

Enterprise with Elder Gomez and me on exchanges
This week there weren't too many exciting things going on. Just another week in paradise! We had a lot of appointments fall through this week. That was kind of frustrating, but it's a part of missionary work. If everything went our way, we'd never grow! I went on exchanges with Elder Gomez in Enterprise last Thursday. We had a great time. He's from Australia and a very animated guy. Enterprise is beautiful!! It was cool to see the place that Elder Muzenda told me so much about in my first months on my mission. We had many fall throughs and Elder Gomez was getting pretty discouraged, but we tried one last lesson at this other farm. We taught Darius (a semi-active member) and Dallington (an investigator) on self-mastery (see 1 Cor 9) and then about charity. It was so incredible. The Spirit was filling my mind with thoughts and my heart with impressions as we spoke to them. It was one of the most powerful lessons I've ever taught. Any difficulties of the day were instantly wiped away and replaced with a joyful and lively feeling. Few things compare to the strength that comes to you when the Holy Ghost is guiding you. It is one of the greatest blessings of being a missionary!

Dinner with Brother Dennis and the district
On Saturday evening we visited with Brother Dennis Chimunda with the district. He is an old man who lives alone in Borrowdale. He is very educated and a powerful member. We had a little braai (bbq) with him and he said we made his day because missionaries hadn't visited him in years. It was special to spend time with him and talk about the gospel while having a little fun. On Sunday there were very few investigators at church. Hopefully more will be able to come next week! After church we taught Bro. Homwe and two of his daughters. I taught them the Restoration all in Shona!! It was exhausting and I had to mix a lot of English in there, but it was also super cool. I love teaching in English whenever possible, but when needed, speaking Shona is really awesome. That was one of the highlights of the week.

My short thought this week is about testimony. Each of us has one deep down, a valued knowledge of the truth gained by the Holy Ghost. The Lord wants each of us to share that gift with others. If we only open our mouths and share what we know or even believe to be true, the Spirit can carry our words unto the hearts of those who listen. We can never underestimate the power of a simple and heartfelt testimony! I felt that as I listened in fast and testimony meeting yesterday. A warm and comforting feeling filled my heart throughout the whole hour. A testimony is like a muscle; as we seek to exercise it and bear it, it becomes greater!

I love you all and hope this week is a powerful one!

Love Elder Barlow

Enterprise


No comments:

Post a Comment