Sunday, July 15, 2018

July 2, 2018 - The End of an Era...and the Split!

Hey friends and family!!

Can you believe that it's July already?? Time is moving way too quickly! This week was great and full of emotions! President and Sister Mkhabela are heading home tomorrow and I can hardly believe it! It is difficult to see such amazing people go, especially because I've been so close to them for so much of my mission, but they have served well and will enjoy being home with their family. I couldn't be more grateful for the things I've learned from them; they have helped me grow so much during my mission and I know that I wouldn't be who I am today without them! I know that the Lord's plan is perfect, and that He knew that I would be strengthened by serving under President and Sister Mkhabela.

We did a ton of finding this week! We were able to find 16 new people to teach, which was awesome! I'll share some more about that later. I definitely have a testimony of the Lord blessing us with wonderful people to share the gospel with when we put forth our best efforts! 

With Elder Anderson
I went on exchanges with Elder Anderson this week! He's 3 months behind me and he comes from Idaho. I don't know why, but it seems like all of our plans always fall through on exchanges. However, we stayed diligent and had a great day. He's a cool guy and it was good to learn from one another. His companion is from the Democratic Republic of the Congo and speaks French (so he is learning English) and it's awesome to see how Elder Anderson is helping him progress. Funny story: we were visiting an investigator family, and we somehow got on the topic of there supposedly being a mermaid in a nearby dam. Elder Andersen and I looked at each other, like what? We told them that there was no way, but they insisted and tried giving us all this evidence. We asked them if they had seen the mermaid. They said no. We asked if there were mermaids in the scriptures. Again, the response was no. We rest our case. That's only a fraction of the conversation, but it was too funny. Sorry for any of you that still believe in mermaids.

At the Chikunguwo's house with all their friends
We had another cool experience this weekend. There's a member couple, the Chikunguwo's, that I knew in Seke and that technically stay in a far part of our area. They were once incredibly successful branch missionaries and pioneers for the Church in Mutare in the 1990's, and they are amazing. They stay far from the Church (they still attend every week), so they've been sharing the gospel with all their neighbors and friends. They invited us over to their home last weekend, and we taught a gathering of about 10 of their neighbors! It was unique and cool to teach so many people at once. The Chikunguwo's have a goal of getting a group started out where they stay, and if they keep doing great missionary work, that goal will definitely be realized sometime soon! 

The back of my planner: Harare and Bulawayo Missions

Also, there are now two missions in Zimbabwe! It is cool to be a part of this historical time for the Church in Zimbabwe! 

Have an amazing week everybody! I know that Christ lives and that this is His work!

Love Elder Barlow


No comments:

Post a Comment