Monday, February 5, 2018

January 15, 2018 - Singin' in the...sun?

Mhoroi friends and family!!

I hope you all had a great week! This year's rainy season has been pretty devoid of rain, so we have been teaching/preaching/working as missionaries do in the hot Zimbabwe sun. It also seems like most of our appointments fell through this week, which isn't too fun, but I've tried to make up for it by singing just about everywhere I go. Missionary work can be a bit tough sometimes, but there's always a bright side and I'm truly grateful to be a part of it!

To be honest, this week wasn't the most exciting, but it still had its good moments. We found another family to teach! The Mukutuzi family is super awesome. The husband works at a grocery store and the wife is a tailor, and they have two sons. Their 2 year old son Lawton is super crazy and is basically bouncing off the walls every time we go there to teach. We've also met quite a few people who were taught by previous missionaries, so hopefully we will be able to teach them and see what they know. We definitely need more investigators here in Mutare, and I have faith that we will be able to find them! 

I went on exchanges with Elder Masitsa this week. He's from Kenya and hit his year mark last month. He's a quiet and reserved guy, but it was fun to learn about his conversion to the gospel and to work together. Yesterday was Elder Motsoiri's 23rd birthday! He's been pretty excited about it. By the way, the Zimbabwean trend of empty promises about coming to church, etc apply to birthday presents too. Almost everyone we know said they'd get Elder Motsoiri a present, and surprise, almost none of them actually did. It's ok though, he's had a good time these past few days. Speaking of birthdays, I want to wish my dad a happy birthday today! I couldn't ask for a better father and I'm grateful for the example of hard work and priesthood service that he has set for me! 

I know this hasn't been the most enthusiastic of emails, but I'd like to share a thought that came to me this week. I have been studying in Ether in the Book of Mormon, and I've noted an interesting trend. Whenever the people remembered all the good things that God had done for their forefathers, it motivated them to be righteous and they too received blessings of joy and prosperity from the Lord. When they forgot about their blessings, the people fell into contention, greed, and rebellion. It is so important for us to remember all the tender mercies that we have received. Doing so strengthens our testimony and our hope for further blessings as we live the gospel. In fact, Moroni's first counsel to us when we receive the Book of Mormon is to remember how merciful the Lord has been unto His children even back to the days of Adam (Moroni 10:3). I know that as we choose to learn from our mistakes and others' and keep in remembrance all that God has done for us, we will look forward with an eye of faith and be able to endure all the challenges that lie ahead.

I love you all and I hope that you have a fantastic week! Know that we are never alone!

Love Elder Barlow

Sorry, the computer is not cooperating so pics will come next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment