Monday, February 26, 2018

January 29, 2018 - Back in H-Town

Hey everyone!!
Where is the time going?? It seems like 2018 just started, and January is almost in the books! I love being able to dedicate this time to serving the Lord. Transfers came and I've been sent back to Harare, this time as a zone leader! My new companion is Elder Byrom from England, and it's awesome because we are in the same group! I'm pretty humbled to have this new responsibility, but I'm also super excited! What I'm not as excited for is driving a stick shift in downtown Harare. I stalled out a couple times today, but I got a few laughs so it's ok! Gotta love the mission!

Fun fact: my second year on mission is feeling like a repeat of my first year. From Sept 2016 to Dec 2016, I was being trained. After that I went to a town area (Kadoma) for one transfer where we only baptized one person that didn't get confirmed (Nellie). Afterwards, I went to an area in Harare East (Seke) where we had a car. And from Sept-Dec 2017, I was training a new missionary. Afterwards, I went to a town area (Mutare) for one transfer where we baptized only Tanaka, and she hasn't been confirmed yet. And now I've been transferred to the Harare East zone with a car. Crazy, right? Either it's coincidence or divine design haha. 
After church with Brother Feryne
My last week in Mutare was full of interesting experiences. On Tuesday, we attended a funeral for a returned missionary with the Penhalonga elders. It was pretty sad to see so many of his family members and friends so devastated. The whole experience made me think pretty deeply about life, death, and God's plan of salvation. I felt impressed to study more about Jesus Christ's Atonement, the eventual resurrection, and the promise of salvation if we are faithful. I was really impacted by this experience, and I am gaining a greater testimony that there is a life after death and that Christ made it possible for us to return to our Heavenly Father and be with our families forever! It is always sad to lose someone, but I know that peace and comfort can be found through the Savior! 

With Sister Narikenya and Virginia Makelve

While I served in Mutare, I gained a great love for members who are less active in the Church. Everyone is a child of God, and all are of great worth in His eyes. This week we worked with the Makelve's and Feryne, and it was awesome. Feryne came to church yesterday and he contributed a lot--it was so cool! I think he realized how much he had been missing and I hope he will continue making an effort to be active! It was really difficult to say goodbye to the Makelve's and Feryne. I got close with them in such a short time, and I pray that they will be able to fully return to the fold of God!
This week I had the privilege to finish reading the Book of Mormon again. I love the final chapters in Moroni about faith, hope, charity, and Christ! Mormon and Moroni were perfect examples of enduring to the end and remaining faithful no matter what the circumstances. I keep realizing how short of a time that I have left as a full time missionary, and I have truly gained the desire to press forward to the end of my mission and remain faithful. If you haven't recently, read Moroni 7. We can truly lay hold upon every good thing through faith in Christ, and if we develop charity, we can become pure even as He is!
I love you all so much! I'm sorry that this email isn't as long, it's been a bit of a busy day! Hope you all are doing well!
Eating an ice lolo
(a homemade popsicle made of baobab powder,
etc and frozen on a twig)

Love Elder Barlow

No comments:

Post a Comment