Tuesday, September 26, 2017

August 14, 2017 - Singin' the Blues

Hey Everyone!!
Nyazungu family


Today will be a shorter and crazier email than normal because I'm being transferred!! Sadly, I will be leaving my beloved Hatcliffe and Borrowdale and heading down to Bulawayo (often nicknamed blues by the missionaries), which is about 6 hours south of Harare. Elder Horton is also leaving, which came as a huge surprise to us. It isn't often that an area gets two new missionaries (whitewashing) but this happens to be the case this transfer.

I have a confession: I've never gotten emotional when leaving an area. However, upon finding out that I was leaving, I felt super torn apart. On Sunday, the Bishop asked us to bear our testimonies one last time. Standing in front of that wonderful group of people that I'd come to love and trust, I had a hard time holding back my emotions. I also bore my testimony in Shona, which I think shocked most of the people, and I did pretty well. Zimbabwe is such a wonderful place with such faithful people. The Lord has worked miracles for Elder Horton and I as we have sought to be diligent and work hard. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have had to serve in this place.
Leaving the Nyika Family

I will be going to serve in Tshabalala with Elder Daka, who is from Zambia. I've also been called to serve as a district leader this transfer. It will definitely be a big change from Harare. I have spent the last 7-8 months of my mission here in the capital of Zimbabwe, so I will miss being here as well. I have faith that there are more good memories and good people in Bulawayo! Fun fact, all my Shona speaking is taking a back seat for now. The people in Bulawayo speak Ndebele, which is clicking language. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up quickly, it would be cool to have two languages under my belt.
This week wasn't too exciting. We had some disappointments with a few investigators, but our teaching was good and Elder Horton and I really got along well. He has been a great companion and I will definitely miss him!!
Us and the Borrowdale ward council

Alright well my time is far spent, I'll definitely write more and send pictures next week from Tshabalala!! Love you all!!
Love Elder Barlow

Elder Barlow's not so famous Zim Chili

No comments:

Post a Comment