Tuesday, September 26, 2017

September 11, 2017 - Tender Mercies

Hey everybody!!!
Some cool clouds, a rare sight in Blues


This letter might be a little shorter, but it certainly has been an amazing week!! My last email was talking about how hot it has been, but this week was definitely worse. Bulawayo is basically the land of 0 clouds, so we are at the mercy of the glaring sun every day. My sun tan is coming back fast haha.

I figured out how to click like a properly Ndebele native this week!! The Q sound was giving me trouble but we had a breakthrough this week haha. For those who want to practice speaking Ndebele, try this: ixoxo liyeqe umgwaqo (the frog humped over the road). 

This week we had the wonderful opportunity to baptize Samantha. It was so special and we were so happy for her. For being only 16 years old, she is incredibly mature and intelligent and one of the most prepared people I have ever met. Basically she taught us every lesson. Elder Thomas (who's serving in Nkulumane) baptized her, and in her testimony afterwards she said that she really felt a connection with our message and with the Book of Mormon, even from our first meeting. She said that being baptized felt so good, and that it was something she needed to do a long time ago. Powerful. She basically just needs to be a missionary already. She went back to boarding school today for another 2 months, but I have no doubt that her testimony will continue to grow until she comes back. Being a missionary is such a blessing because you get to meet the most amazing and humble people and watch as the gospel touches their lives!

Samantha's baptism, featuring Elder Thomas

The other highlight of my week came last night. I got an unexpected call from Elder Leneham, who's now serving in Seke (my 3rd area). He handed the phone to Sister Kwaramba, who told me that she had been married and baptized this past weekend. I just about died of excitement and started going crazy on the side of the road. If anyone remembers, Sister Kwaramba was a mom that Elder Ray and I found and were teaching. She was super powerful and came to church several times with her kids, even though she lived far away from the church. There were some complicated problems that stood in the way of her getting legally married so that she could be baptized, and we didn't know when the time would come for her and her husband. Well, 4 months after I left Seke, she and her husband have finally been married and apparently the branch there has really embraced them. Plus, the husband is getting baptized this weekend!! It was just about the greatest news that I could've asked for. My gratitude for being a missionary has increased a ton, and I am filled with so much happiness. It is moments like these that make the burning sun and tough days so worth it! I know without a doubt that God's hand is in everything and he shows forth his love to us every day if we will open our eyes to see it. In 1 Nephi 1:20, Nephi says that he would show unto us that "the tender mercies of the Lord" are over all those who love and serve Him, and that by the grace of God and our faith in Him, we will be delivered from our trials. I have experienced so many of these tender mercies throughout my mission, and I don't have words to express the gratitude that I have for a loving Father in Heaven that is mindful of all His children.

The elders of Bulawayo zone

We played soccer again today with the zone and had a ton of fun! It's always great to get together with the other missionaries and have a good time. It's a great day to be a missionary!! I love you all, have a fantastic week!!

Love Elder Barlow

No comments:

Post a Comment