Tuesday, September 26, 2017

August 7, 2017 - What is Dating Again?

Hey everybody!! I hope the week has been good. My title means "it's really hot," which accurately describes the weather this week. I can't believe that September is here! I know I mention a lot about how time flies as a missionary, but it really is so crazy sometimes.

Last Monday we celebrated my year mark along with the other elders from my group in the zone. We rented out a turf soccer field and played some soccer and football, which was a ton of fun. Afterwards we had a braai (bbq) and talked about mission stories and the gospel. We really enjoyed, and it was good to get out and play some sports again. I burned a shirt to signify the end of my first year as per mission tradition. It's still so crazy to believe that half of my mission has passed me by, and it motivates me even more to enjoy and make the most out of the year that I have left!

On Wednesday we had a wedding from Brother Prosper and Sister Lucy! Prosper was baptized by Elder Lucas and Elder Daka last transfer and although he is very shy, he's so powerful! We've been teaching his wife, and we finally managed to get them legally married! We had a small ceremony for the two of them and they were very happy! We look forward to baptizing Sis. Lucy this weekend. We were also teaching Samantha and she was telling us about how she's heard at school many times how science and religion contradict each other. She told us that she believes that God is the greatest scientist of all because of all that He created. Her perspective is so awesome, and we hope she will be baptized this week too!

On Friday we went on exchanges. I went with Elder Ochieng. He's 26 and from Kenya, and he's about 5 months out. He's a mature but funny guy and we had a good time. It was so hot, which made the day go by so slowly. We went searching for a house in the morning (which by the way, in Zimbabwe, is incredibly difficult because the neighborhoods are a bit disorganized and the numbers are ridiculous) and finally happened to bump into the daughter of the person we wanted to teach. We found the house and taught Sis. Besie about the Restoration. It was a solid lesson, and afterwards she opened up to us about some challenges in her life that were not easily apparent. It's incredible to teach people and get to know them. These people are so strong and go through so much, and I seek to learn from them as much as possible. On Saturday night we went to visit a member family and found them arguing about the scriptures. Nobody was listening to each other, and there were more factors at stake too. It was frustrating to watch, but Elder Daka and I calmly answered their questions and at the same time taught them about listening and about treating others as we would want to be treated. If we love someone, we should care about what they say. It was a little bit of a mess, but we will be visiting them more often to try and encourage them to do better. 

Sunday was super powerful! The Spirit was so strong during fast and testimony meeting as many of the members shared their testimonies. The ward here isn't as strong as my last area, and it was so encouraging to have a wonderful sacrament meeting like that. We had another lesson with Samantha where we read 3 Nephi 11 with her about Christ visiting the Nephites. She said that she got an answer about the Book of Mormon being true and the Spirit was really strong as we read the account of the Savior's teachings. I truly know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and that it testifies plainly of the Savior Jesus Christ. I don't know this because somebody told me, but because I asked God and received a witness from the Holy Ghost. That kind of knowledge can't be taken away. Christ truly testified that if we seek, we shall find and I know that if we seek the truth about the Restoration and the gospel of Jesus Christ, we will find the light we are seeking. It is such a privilege to serve my Heavenly Father and help others find the same testimony that I have received. 

I love you guys!! Until next week!!

Love Elder Barlow

No comments:

Post a Comment