Sunday, June 24, 2018

April 2, 2018 - I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Dear friends and family,

I hope you all had a fantastic week!! April already??? Time flies as a missionary, and sometimes I wish it would just slow down a bit. I hope you all enjoyed general conference over the weekend! I haven't viewed it yet because of the time difference, but I'll see it this weekend and I will send my thoughts next week. Thank you to everyone who shared their thoughts and impressions from the conference, I really appreciate it! 

Eastview in the Rain
This week started off with MLC, which was awesome as always. We had a lot of fun playing basketball with the rest of the zone leaders, and I even managed to set up the volleyball net at the chapel, which was sweet. Our meeting the next day was really powerful. President Mkhabela instructed us on several topics, one being how to teach the Word of Wisdom. Part of his remarks applies to all of God's commandments: when the Lord gives us a commandment, that in itself is the principle reason that we should keep the commandment, not because of man-made explanations or rationalizations. I know that when Heavenly Father gives us a commandment, we should act in faith and be obedient so that we may receive the promised blessings. Acting in faith gives us more strength to endure than any other reasons for obeying. Overall, it was a great meeting. Our zone was the most successful in the mission during the month, which was pretty cool as well, even though this work is not all about numbers.
Elder Byrom and I after MLC

This week was spent rebuilding our teaching pool. It's been slow going, but we were blessed with many new people to teach. We even exceeded our goal of finding new investigators! The awesome part was that several of them were families, which is the best! One of the first things we teach people when we meet them is that the gospel is there to bless their family! I definitely have a testimony of that because I can't even number the blessings that have come to my family because of living the gospel!! It makes it all the more special to teach people about the eternal nature of families here in Zimbabwe. My first recent convert here in Eastview, Annastancia, lost her aunt this last weekend and her mom was taking it pretty hard. Her mother is such a sweet woman. She makes traditional tablecloths and they are so cool. She's an active Christian but not a member of the Church, even though she loves the Book of Mormon. When we visited, she was pretty depressed about losing her sister, so we taught her about Alma 40-42 and how we will all be resurrected and live together as a family if we live the gospel. She then asked us about how her family can be together forever, and we are teaching her about the temple this week! I love this work so much!

On Sunday we had a wonderful fast and testimony meeting. Nearly everyone's testimony was centered on the Resurrection of the Lord. Our stake presidency joined us and shared their powerful testimonies and it was amazing. The Spirit was so strong. It is with great joy that I add my testimony to theirs, that Jesus is the Christ, and that He lives. I know that the tomb was empty on the morning of that first Easter Sunday and that He appeared to Mary Magdalene, the Apostles, and to disciples on Emmaus road. Though I have never seen Him with my eyes, I know that He stands on the right hand of the Father as the triumphant Savior of all mankind. To quote a favorite hymn that paraphrases 2 Nephi 4 "I love the Lord, in Him my soul delights." I hope you all had a wonderful time commemorating the Atonement and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, and I pray that each of you will celebrate it every single day. I love you all, have a fantastic week!!
Love Elder Barlow 

That Zimbabwe Sunset



No comments:

Post a Comment