Sunday, June 24, 2018

February 19, 2018 - Setting Fire to the Rain

Hey everybody!!
I apologize, today will be another quick email, but I'll do my best to include everything I can!! The rain has been pouring almost every day this week, making for some big puddles in Eastview. So far we haven't turned the truck into a submarine haha.
Harare

Some of the highlights from this week!!
-Elder Byrom and I made chicken curry and bread bowls. Yes, yes we did (see pic)
-To contrast that, I also ate another fish head. Yes, a real one. (see pic)
and on a more spiritual side:
-Sister Mucheke got confirmed! Plus Brother Mucheke has stopped smoking!!
-11 investigators at church!!
-12 new people to teach! (one of whom is a cousin to a returned missionary and already has a testimony that the Book of Mormon is true!)
-The Harare East zone is doing so well! Everyone's efforts resulted in a significant improvement in finding new investigators and bringing people to church!!
The chicken curry


It's such an exciting time to be in the Zimbabwe Harare Mission! The Lord has blessed us with some amazing people to teach and it is such a privilege to bear the news of the restored gospel to them!

This week we drove to Marondera to attend their district meeting. It's about an hour's drive east of Eastview, and there are just four missionaries out there. Everything went well and it was encouraging to see the good work that they're doing! We also had interviews with President Mkhabela. I realized recently that I only have a few more interviews left before he finishes, and so I cherish each time that I get to take counsel from him.
The fish head

To conclude, this week Elder Byrom and I were teaching Alice and Jestina, two moms that stay in Ruwa (another area that we sometimes visit). We had planned to re-teach the Restoration, but instead they started asking questions about why it seems that God doesn't answer our prayers, or why it sometimes takes a long time for trials to go away. I'd like to share some of what we taught them in response. Even though we don't like to admit it, often times the answer to a prayer is "no." It usually comes when we ask for something that is not God's will or not in our best interests. When we close our prayer in the name of Jesus Christ, we are also inferring that all that we've asked for is in line with His and the Father's will. We shouldn't ask for things that we know aren't good for us. We also have to start from where we are, step by step, and revelation will be there to show us the way.  When it comes to trials, Paul taught about a thorn in the flesh (a trial that he faced) that pained him for some time, but after it remained he gloried in the strength that he had received from the Lord. We often find ourselves in the refiner's fire where it is hot and uncomfortable and we would rather leave. However, a loving Father holds us there and if we endure faithfully, we emerge pure and free of imperfection. Trials enable us to be who God knows we can be. We cannot reach our full potential without adversity. I have gained a testimony of this, especially on my mission. I know that we will be delivered from our trials if we press forward with a steadfastness in Christ. I am truly grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who tries my patience and my faith, and for a Savior who is there to strengthen me through each test.

I love you all, have the best week ever!!
Love Elder Barlow

No comments:

Post a Comment