Sunday, June 24, 2018

May 14, 2018 - His Hand is Stretched Out Still

Hey everyone!
Happy Mothers' Day to all the amazing mothers out there! I wouldn't be where I am today without all the great women in my life, especially my mom. I feel so blessed to have a mother who has done so much to care for me and raise me in the gospel. It was pretty awesome to call home yesterday. I guess when I left, the frequency of haircuts for my brothers decreased significantly haha. It's crazy to think that it was my last phone call home. My mission has definitely increased my love and appreciation for my family!
Another View of Eastview

This week we were able to teach our zone members about what it means to be a successful missionary. The first thing we tried to do was to show how the world's definition of success is largely based on material possessions, outward results, or fame. Then we switched gears and discussed about how the Lord's definition of success is measured primarily by our commitment to serve Him and His children and keep His commandments. Everyone was able to choose what principle of being a successful missionary is most important to them (some examples being: obeying with exactness, feeling the Spirit guiding you, working effectively every day, and loving people and desiring their salvation), and they all committed to strive to apply it every day. I'd also like to share another part of our discussion that is especially meaningful to me. Our success cannot and should not be measured by comparing ourselves to others or their outward results. Frankly, this was a big challenge for me earlier in my life. It is so easy to try and measure up to others, and to feel like you are not enough when your results aren't the same. However, a principle that I've learned is that there is no need for comparison when we realize that each and every one of us is a child of God with our own strengths and weaknesses. Rather than trying to earn God's love, we need to understand that His love is unconditional, and that our time should be spent showing that same love (charity) to those around us. We find so much more joy when we comprehend our identity as a son or daughter of God and the love that He has for each of us. Our success is only determined by our faithfulness and desire to serve God and His children.
 Not sure if you can see, but these
are all the cockroaches that inhabit our kitchen

I learned a little more about God's love as I studied the Book of Mormon this week. I started and finished the Isaiah chapters in 2 Nephi, and what stuck out to me was how the Lord never forsakes His people, even when they forsake Him. This phrase is mentioned several times: For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still. God does punish His people when they fall into sin, but He never abandons them. The image that Isaiah gives is so touching: no matter how far we go in the wrong direction, the Lord is still extending his hand, inviting us to return to Him. I testify that God's love is unchanging and unconditional for all His children, and that His blessings are available to all who will repent and come unto Him.
This week Elder Till and I worked hard and many of our investigators are making progress! I'm looking forward to what lies ahead this week. Fun fact: roosters in Austria don't say cock-a-doodle-doo, they say kikity kee. I understand it about as much as you do, but it was a funny conversation.
Well that's about all for this week! Always remember that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love each and every one of you, and that you are always enough!
Love Elder Barlow

No comments:

Post a Comment