Sunday, June 24, 2018

April 23, 2018 - We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet!!!

Hey everybody!!!
This week was incredible!! My email today will be focused on what took place on Tuesday with our beloved prophet President Nelson and Elder Holland! I'll do my best to share about my experience during their visit, but I'm not sure if words are adequate!
On Tuesday after district meeting, we all met up at the mission office in Highlands. The whole mission was transported up to Harare for the meeting, a first for the ZHM. They got us all seated in the cultural hall for the picture, and we just waited in silence for their arrival. When President Nelson walked in we all stood, and the Spirit was so strong that I could barely control my emotions. We were able to greet him and Sister Nelson along with Elder and Sister Holland, and Elder Palmer and Elder Hamilton of the Seventy from the Area presidency. It was such a unique experience. Elder Holland asked about where I was from, and smiled after I replied Sandy, UT. He made reference to Sandy in the middle of his talk, which was kind of cool. 
The Zimbabwe Harare Mission with President Russell M. Nelson and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Here are some of the highlights of the meeting:
Sister Holland spoke about us as young missionaries and how we are able to receive revelations and spiritual gifts if we remain worthy. She quoted a verse in Joel that Moroni repeated to Joseph Smith, which was super awesome.
Elder Holland paid our mission some very high compliments and joked that the whole mission would be translated. He encouraged and exhorted us to make the most of our missions and not to miss even one second, good or bad. Something that touched me was how he said that he's thought of his mission in one way or another every day for over 50 years since he's returned, and that it has impacted his life more than anything. He told us that we owe it to the Lord to serve faithfully, but that we also owe it to ourselves because it is the opportunity of a lifetime. I felt such a warm and comforting feeling and an overwhelming desire to give my all for the rest of my mission as he spoke.
Sister Nelson actually said that she decided to change her topic when she stood up. She related a story to us of how her bishop counseled her to take a question to general conference and how that led to her not marrying her then-fiancee. Her remarks were focused on how the Holy Ghost is a fantastic teacher and can teach us whatever we need to hear at any given time, even if a speaker is not mentioning that thought or topic. She was very witty and well-spoken and her talk was awesome.
President Nelson spoke to us on the power of the Book of Mormon and related to us many of his remarks from the October 2017 conference about his findings as he studied the Book of Mormon. He then opened several scriptures with us to show how the Book of Mormon is God's instrument for gathering Israel so that they may receive the blessings of God's covenant with Abraham. He also told us that that covenant is fulfilled in the temple, and then told us that we are preparing Zimbabwe for the blessings of that covenant and the temple by spreading the gospel with the Book of Mormon. It was incredible to see how we are helping to fulfill ancient prophecies in these last days about God's blessings for his covenant people. He concluded his remarks by leaving an Apostolic blessing upon us and our families, a truly sacred experience.
Though I might try my best to recount what I heard, it is difficult to express what I felt as we listened to an Apostle and the prophet of the Lord. I felt the Spirit bear witness to me over and over that the Lord leads His church through ordained prophets and apostles. I understand what Peter said on the Mount of Transfiguration when He spoke to Christ and said, "it is good for us to be here." I treasure that meeting as one of the most sacred and special memories that I have.
Reunited with Elder Daka on exchanges

Aside from that, our week was pretty normal. Just doing lots of missionary work here in Eastview! I've definitely been on a spiritual high since Tuesday and it has greatly impacted how I serve.
Transfers have come again as well! Sadly, Elder Byrom is being transferred to Bulawayo to be a zone leader there. I'll definitely miss serving with him as he was a good friend and a fantastic example. My new companion is Elder Till from Austria, who is also from my group. I'm excited to remain in Eastview and continue what we've started! 
Saying good-bye to Elder Byrom

I know that the Lord leads His church and I bear testimony that He lives and loves us. Russel M. Nelson is His prophet today, and I bear witness of the comfort that comes from know that there is a prophet on the earth.
I love you all, have a fantastic week!!
Love Elder Barlow

No comments:

Post a Comment