Sunday, June 24, 2018

April 30, 2018 - Eastview: the Austro-American Empire

Hey everybody!!
This email will probably be pretty short because I don't have a lot of time, so I apologize for that! Thank you to everyone for all the kind birthday wishes that you sent, it means the world to me! 


With Elder Till

Elder Till and I have been getting along great! He's from Austria and is a few years older than me. He has an awesome accent and a good sense of humor, but takes missionary work seriously. He also used to play beach volleyball, so we definitely have a connection there. I know that this transfer is going to be awesome and that we will accomplish a lot of good!

The first part of this week was spent transporting and housing new missionaries. As zone leaders here in Harare, the assistants to the president call us a lot to help out. On Tuesday we worked with 3 new missionaries, one of whom is Elder Masona, who was my branch mission leader during my 3 transfers in Seke! It was fun to teach with him as a missionary and not just a member present. I also said goodbye to my good friend Elder Ray, the only companion that I've been with for 3 transfers. It was crazy to see him heading home a year after we were companions. Time is flying like crazy.

Saying good-bye to Elder Ray
We still managed to find quite a few new investigators this week. Three of them are friends of Freedom, our recent convert. When we would pass them on the road, we didn't really think they were serious, but we made the effort to schedule a time to visit. When we arrived, one of them was doing another's hair, but they got some chairs for us to sit on so they could hear our message. Rather than just starting off into a lesson, we asked if they had any questions. This led to a discussion about prayer and receiving revelation, and by the end all three of them were seated and paying full attention. It's an amazing feeling when the Spirit confirms that what you are teaching is what they need, and "both are edified and rejoice together." Another instance occurred while visiting Sister Nyarira, a long-time member of the church. We had just planned to share a short scripture before we left, so I silently started praying about what to share. As I flipped through the Book of Mormon, I felt impressed to stop and ask her if she was facing any challenges in her life. She paused, and then surprised us by telling us about a serious challenge that she and her husband are facing. That led us to share from Mosiah 23 about how the Lord sometimes allows us to go through challenges so that we can learn to rely on Him and be patient/faithful, and how He will always deliver those who put their trust in Him. We were also able to direct her to the branch president for help on the issue. I have a testimony of asking sincere questions and then listening! We will always be given the right thing to say if we listen carefully and prayerfully to those around us and to the promptings of the Spirit!


Well that's about all I have time for, but I'll write more next week!! Love you all, have a great start to the month of May!!
Love Elder Barlow


No comments:

Post a Comment