Sunday, June 24, 2018

May 28, 2018 - Ndiri kuonga (I'm Grateful)



Hey everybody!!
We had another crazy yet rewarding week here in Eastview! The cold is definitely here to stay, but we've been surprised by a few showers this week. The Lord also showered some blessings upon us, so I figured that I'd center my email this week on gratitude.
With Elder Williams on exchanges again

Recently, I've been praying for more gratitude. D&C 59:7 commands us to "thank the Lord thy God in all things," so I've been pondering more about the blessings that I've been given. There are so many luxuries that I knew at home that most people here never taste of. There are even some privileges that I've enjoyed as a missionary in Zimbabwe that many Zimbabweans don't commonly have, and I've been striving not to develop a sense of entitlement. As I've prayed for the spirit of thanksgiving, the Lord has opened my eyes to see how much he has blessed me with. I've felt a deepening sense of gratitude in my heart as I interact with the humble people around me. There are people that we meet that struggle to get through life, and I wish I could give them the world. However, I've also come to understand that the best thing I could give them is the gospel of Jesus Christ, which provides hope and peace in the most challenging times. Above all things, I'm grateful for the Savior and this life-changing opportunity that I've been granted to serve Him as a missionary. 

There are also some tangible blessings that the Lord has given us. As Elder Till and I have tried to be diligent and obedient in all that we do, that Lord has blessed with more success than we planned. This week, we had the privilege of seeing 7 of our friends get baptized! I'll give a quick spotlight on each one:


Baptism!!
Jacqueline(38)- We found her with Elder Byrom. We initially met her 20 year old daughter, who led us to Jacqueline. She's super teachable and willing to learn, and even delayed a move to South Africa so that she could be baptized.

Panashe(9)- He's Freedom's younger brother, and just a sweet kid. We're hoping that the rest of Freedom's family will follow suit!

Brandon(10)- Brandon just showed up to church one day and has been coming for over a month. His mom isn't into the best things, so he stays with his aunt. He asks questions that are mature for his age and he just wants to do what's right.

Ropafadzo(8)- Ropa is the daughter of an investigator who's been coming to church for over a year but can't get baptized because her husband won't get legally married. Her mom was so happy to see her baptized.

Kelvin(20)- Kelvin is a friend of Freedom's, and he just showed up to church with Freedom last month. He's also super willing to learn and practically teaches us the lessons when we go visit him.

Karen(17) & Kelly(19)- Karen and Kelly are from Bulawayo and speak Ndebele. They're cousins, and super awesome. Karen is sweet and reads and remembers all that we give her. Kelly always pretends to be too cool for everything, but she's super fun and deep down has a growing testimony.

Although the water was cold, the Spirit warmed our hearts as we saw these 7 people make sacred covenants with God. I'm so thankful to have played a small part in helping them come into the fold of God. The Lord has led me to some amazing people throughout my mission, and I'm grateful for what I've learned from each one of them. 

Well, that's about all I have time for this week! MLC is tomorrow so we have some things to take care of. I'm truly grateful for each one of you and the good influence you have on my life. Have a wonderful week!

Love Elder Barlow


No comments:

Post a Comment