Sunday, June 24, 2018

April 9, 2018 - Surely the Lord God...Revealeth His Secret Unto His Servants the Prophets

Hey everybody!!!
I hope you've had a good week! My week here in Zimbabwe was full of soaring highs and humbling lows, but I'm so full of gratitude to my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. As I mentioned last week, we were finally able to watch General Conference, and it was incredible!! That was definitely the highlight of my week. However, I guess it's best to start with the lows and move to the highs.
Last week one of our investigators, Alice Chongoziva (the one who's been waiting for her husband to return from Gweru so that they can be married and baptized), fell ill and missed church on Sunday. Elder Byrom visited her on exchanges mid week, and she had gotten worse. Then on Friday morning, we received the shocking news that Alice had passed away. Elder Byrom and I just sat there in silence and sadness. I have never experienced anything like that, and I took it hard. Alice was such a sweet lady who had learned so much about the gospel. Their family has been attending church and progressing for months, and we loved Alice so much. I understood anew in a very difficult way that the worth of souls is great in the sight of God, and that He has allowed me to begin to see and love those souls as He does. I am so humbled by the faith of her husband, Humphrey, who has expressed his desire to continue on the gospel path. I am so grateful to be a member of the Lord's church, where Heavenly Father's plan of salvation, the Savior's Atonement and Resurrection, and temple ordinances make it possible for families to be reunited again. I am thankful for Elder Uchtdorf's talk on how hope comes to us through the Lord Jesus Christ! I know that despite the sadness of Alice's passing, all can be made right through Christ!

Viewing conference surely lifted my spirits. I cherish the opportunity I had to sustain President Russell M. Nelson as the Lord's prophet during the solemn assembly. The Holy Ghost witnessed to me that He has been chosen by God to direct His Church in these days. I love him and sustain him. Here are a few of my favorite parts of conference:

With Elder Bvute on exchanges.
He's a Zimbabwean and his family lives in South Africa.
He was trained by my good friend Elder Daka
and is a great young missionary

- President Nelson, President Eyring, and Elder Wilson's talks on personal revelation through the Holy Ghost. I've always seen revelation as a concept that applied to others in conference talks and not to me personally, but I'm starting to understand that I can receive direction from the Lord for my day to day life.
- Elder Lynn G. Robbins' message on mistakes and repentance. I love how he said that the Lord is on our side, and that He paid an infinite price to give us infinite chances to repent!
- Elder Hawk's talk and others about the healing nature of forgiveness.
- President Oaks' talk on the small and simple things. Simplicity does not denote triviality when it comes to keeping or breaking God's commandments. We must never stop paddling upstream! 
- The theme throughout the conference of pure Christlike love and service.

With Annastancia (recent convert) and her family


Each time I have viewed general conference on mission, I have learned something profound and new. Each time it seems to go by too fast. I am so grateful for the semi-annual opportunity we have to be instructed by the Lord's ordained servants. I am grateful for the wake-up calls I received, the impressions that I felt, the Spirit that was present, and the love of God and His servants that was manifested. I hope each and every one of you found things that you can apply in your lives to be better disciples of Christ. I know that He guides this Church through revelation, and that His servants will never lead us astray. 

I love you all so much and I hope you have a fantastic week!!

Love Elder Barlow


No comments:

Post a Comment